Topic: Sunday Worship Passage: 2 Timothy 2:14–2:18, 1 Thessalonians 5:12–5:14, 1 Timothy 1:6–1:7, 1 Timothy 6:3–6:5, 1 Timothy 6:20–6:21
September 15, 2019 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
2 Timothy 2:14-18
A) …WARN AGAINST QUARRELING. (vs. 14)
- by R________ing those who A________.
- by R__________ing people of the resurrection & God’s faithfulness.
B) …HANDLE THE TRUTH ACCURATELY. (vs. 15)
- by being diligent in your S________ of the Word.
- by being A____________able to the Lord.
- by not being A__________d. (see 1:8,12)
c)…AVOID IRREVERENT TALK. (vs. 16)
- because it leads to ungodliness.
- because it S____________ rapidly.
- because it D_____________ from the truth. (s. 1 Tim. 1:6-7, 6:3-5, 20-21)
- Don’t S__________! Don’t get Ship______________!!
- because it U___________ people’s faith.
2 Timothy 2:14-18 (English Standard Version)
Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, 17 and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some.
- Chapter 1 memory verse (vs. 7)
…for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Chapter 2 memory verse (vs. 2)…and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.