Gains, Losses, & Victory
November 17, 2019 Series: Maintain the Flame
Topic: Sunday Worship Passage: 2 Timothy 4:9–4:22, John 16:29–16:33
November 17, 2019 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
GAINS, LOSSES, & VICTORY * 2 Timothy 4:9-22
- FRIENDS SOMETIMES S____________. (vss. 9-16, 19-22)
- Demas D__________ed Paul because he L________ the world.
- Mark had been a D__________er but became H______ful for service.
(see Acts 15:36-41)
- “Everyone” left Paul.
- Be on G________ against opponents like Alexander.
- A TRUE FRIEND S_______ CLOSE. (vss. 17-18, Proverbs 17:17 & 18:24)
- The Lord S________ by Paul.
- The Lord S______________ened Paul.
- The Lord S______ly rescued Paul.
2 Timothy 4:9-22 (English Standard Version)
9 Do your best to come to me soon. 10 For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Luke alone is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me for ministry. 12 Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments. 14 Alexander the coppersmith did me great harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. 15 Beware of him yourself, for he strongly opposed our message. 16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.19 Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus remained at Corinth, and I left Trophimus, who was ill, at Miletus. 21 Do your best to come before winter. Eubulus sends greetings to you, as do Pudens and Linus and Claudia and all the brothers.
22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
- Chapter 1 memory verse (vs.7)
…for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Chapter 2 memory verse (vs. 2)
…and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
- Chapter 3 memory verse (vs. 12)
Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted…
- Chapter 4 memory verse (vs. 7)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.