Christmas according to John 1: Preparation
Topic: Christmas Passage: John 1:6–1:8, John 1:19–1:28, Deuteronomy 18:15–18:19, Matthew 11:13–11:14, Galatians 4:4–4:5
December 8, 2019 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
PREPARATION, vss. 6-8, 19-28
WHO IS GOD?
- God is the L______.
- Jesus is the L________.
- Jesus is the C__________.
WHAT HAS GOD DONE?
- God sends W________________ to testify about the Christ.
- He sent the Prophet, Elijah, and the Baptist before sending His Son.
- See Deuteronomy 18:15-19, Matthew 11:13-14, Galatians 4:4-5, etc.
WHO ARE WE AND HOW SHALL WE LIVE?
- We must believe John the Baptist’s witness.
- We must repent and make S_______________ the way of the Lord in our hearts.
- We must be B______________ in the Spirit. (see Mark 1:8)
- We must W____________ Jesus.
John 1:6-8, 19-28 (ESV)
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
19 And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” 20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” 21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” 22 So they said to him, “Who are you? We need to give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23 He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as the prophet Isaiah said.”
24 (Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.) 25 They asked him, “Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water, but among you stands One you do not know, 27 even He who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.” 28 These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.