LIVING HOPE #1: Grace and Peace
Topic: Sunday Worship Passage: 1 Peter 1:1–1:2, Hebrews 9:19–9:22, Psalm 94:16–94:19
May 3, 2020 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
LIVING HOPE #1: Grace and Peace 1 Peter 1:1, 2
A) Introduction to the Book
- Author - The A__________ Peter
- Audience – The E________ exiles D_____________ throughout Asia Minor
- Date – Peter wrote from Rome (see 5:13) around A.D.______.
- Occasion- He wanted to E__________ Christians to P___________ in the Faith, even in the face of S____________ and P______________.
B) Central Teaching of this passage: The T_________
1) God the F_______ knows all things in A_________ (F_______knowledge) of their occurrence in time.
2) God the S_____ gave His own L_____ (B_______) for us to be F_________.
3) God the Holy S______ causes us to become more like Jesus (S__________).
- I have a C________: I can allow God’s G_______ and P________ to be M___________ to me or I can allow my own A_________ thoughts to M__________ within me. (see Psalm 94:16-19)
- God had a C______: I can H_______ the Father’s C___________ and C__________ me by O__________ Jesus Christ. (see vss. 14-16)
1 Peter 1:1-2 (ESV)
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father,
in the sanctification of the Spirit,
for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with His blood:
May grace and peace be multiplied to you.
Hebrews 9 19 For when every commandment of the law had been declared by Moses to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20 saying, “This is the blood of the covenant that God commanded for you.” 21 And in the same way he sprinkled with the blood both the tent and all the vessels used in worship. 22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
Psalm 94 (NASB) 16 Who will stand up for me against evildoers? Who will take his stand for me against those who do wickedness? 17 If the Lord had not been my help, My soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence. 18 If I should say, “My foot has slipped,” Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. 19 When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.