We Are GPC, Part 3 - Discipleship
March 1, 2020 Series: The Meaning of Membership
Passage: Matthew 28:18–28:20, 2 Timothy 2:2, 1 Corinthians 4:1–4:2, 2 Corinthians 5:17–5:20
March 1, 2020 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
#8: WE ARE GPC, Part 3- DISCIPLESHIP
- MEANING OF MEMBERSHIP REVIEW:
WE ARE: Christians, Reformed, Presbyterian, PCA, GPC
- WE ARE GPC OVERVIEW:
- Worship 2) Fellowship 3) D______________ship
A) The Great Commission-- Matthew 28:18-20
- Go… make disciples
- Baptizing & Teaching (all)
B) Discipleship Defined
i. Of our R____________-
ii. Of our spiritual G________-
iii. Of the gospel- a) G_____ing sound words b) S____ing the Faith
How do you know when you’ve accomplished your mission?
Scripture Readings (ESV, emphases mine)
Matthew 28 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- 2 Timothy 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
- 1 Corinthians 41 This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.
- 2 Corinthians 5 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
Recommended Reading: The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman, The Lost Art of Disciple-Making by LeRoy Eims, Luke 19:11-27 (hint: it’s not about money!)