We are GPC, Part 1 - Worship
February 16, 2020 Series: The Meaning of Membership
Topic: Sunday Worship Passage: Hebrews 10:24–10:25, Romans 11:36, 1 Corinthians 10:31, 1 Timothy 4:13, Colossians 3:16–3:17
February 16, 2020 Rev. Thomas M. Cox
#6: WE ARE GPC, Part 1- WORSHIP
- WE ARE GPC OVERVIEW:
- W____ship 2) F__________ship 3) D______________ship
- Individual: All of life is worship. See 1 Corinthians 10:31
- Corporate: The P__________ Assembly. See Hebrews 10:24-25
a) PROPER PARAMETERS: The R_________ive Principle of Worship (RPW):
i. “The acceptable way of worshiping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshiped according to the imaginations and devices of men… not P_____________ in the holy Scripture.”
(from WCF 21.1, see also 1 Timothy 4:13)
ii. The E______________ of worship are taught in the Bible.
The C__________stances of worship are left to the wisdom and prudence of the elders of the church. (refer to BCO 12-5.e)
i. Worship S_________:
ii. At GPC, we do not fight “Worship W_____.” (see Col. 3:16-17)
iii. At GPC, we do not fall prey to “Chronological B________ry.”
Scripture Readings (ESV)
Hebrews 10 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- 1 Timothy 413 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.
- Colossians 316Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
- FOR FURTHER STUDY
John 4:23-24, Acts 2:42, Hebrews 12:28-29